Thursday, December 30, 2010

NYE + 1

Am writing - in haste - from the school's computer room. I just finished my last class of the year and was asked on the spur of the moment to help with the placement of a prospective student. A very interesting conversation ensued, which encompassed topics ranging from why Germans don't like Google Street View (they hate it, but some people seem to really love Google), to the role of new media in manipulating the public, to why the Danes tend not to lower their curtains in the evening. A most interesting conversation; this job certainly has its moments.

Less interestingly, I am labouring under a heavy cold which I've had for about a week. I just want to crawl under the blankets with a hot tea and a good book (the impracticality of this I don't need you to point out, dear reader!) and sleep for a month. That, of course, isn't an option. There's going to be a small gathering at the Frau Doktor's tomorrow night at which my presence is expected. And I'm looking forward to it. So, time for another hot lemon tea mixture and here's hoping I recover enough to enjoy things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the relief of your congestion I would suggest vinegar and brown paper upon the brow.

Sincerely,
Emily T. Partridge-Smythe

David said...

I'm much obliged for your advice, Miss P-S. My only question is: should the brown paper and vinegar be applied simultaneously?

Anonymous said...

My dear Mr David,

The heat and pain commonly experienced in sprains - and I believe, in your case, congestion - may be relieved by the local application of brown paper soaked in diluted vinegar.

DO NOT drink the vinegar. 'Tis vile.

I would suggest however a snifter of brandy with your evening pipe.

With kind wishes for your your health and prosperity,
Emily T. Partridge-Smythe